List:       suse-xfree86
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-xorg] How to setup a dual head config with an ATI card?
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-22 9:53:23

On Tuesday 21 Jul 2009 19:13:26 JW wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Sony VGN laptop with an ATI video card - a Radeon HD:
>
> [snip]
>
> However I really need to be able to extend my desktop onto an external
> monitor with some kind of dual-head config - Xinerama, One Big Desktop or
> something.
>
> I have been trying for two days to get this setup. I've tried sax2,
> aticonfig, and hacking the conf by hand from advise I've found on the web.
>
> Nothing has worked yet - I did manage to get a "two screen" setup but KDE
> acted like it was two seperate X server - two desktops, two KPanels, I
> couldn't move applications from one window to the next.
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	JW

Hello.

I have a Macbook with a Radeon X1600 running openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.2. I
haven't tried the one big desktop thing before, but I have used an external
monitor to clone the laptop's display.

I used to use sax2 and edit the xorg.conf file. However, the easiest was I
have found is to use KRandRTray. You can find it under KMenu->System->Desktop
Applet.

Perhaps KRandRTray will work for you? However, you might also need to revert
all your custom changes in xorg.conf...I'm not sure.

Oh, I am also using the radeonhd driver and _not_ ATI's fglrx.

Hope this helps.

Alvin