List:       suse-xfree86
Subject:    [suse-xfree86] xdmcp problem with SuSE 8.2
From:       Hayo Schmidt <strato () hayo ! de>
Date:       2003-07-11 10:38:50

[I hope this is the correct list for this, if not, point me to another
one please.]

I want to have remote access with a SuSE 8.2 installation to the X
server via xdmcp  I have set up the system with YaST Control Center
security option "Allow remote graphical login" (somethig like that). It
did not work.

I had additionally to configure YaST Control Center - Desktop - Display
Manager - DISPLAYMANAGER_STARTS_XSERVER to no. This means that KDE does
not start automatically on the server.

This was poorly documented at
http://sdb.suse.de/de/sdb/html/remotex_80.html. It _should_ be handled
by this remote graphical login configuration.

*I SPENT HOURS TO FIND THIS OUT* :-(.

The point is, the same thing works perfectly well with United Linux 1.0,
were i configured the whole thing in 15 minutes. There the KDE starts
automatically AND i can log in remotely. So there must be something
wrong with SuSE 8.2.

Hayo Schmidt