List:       suse-sparc
Subject:    Re: [suse-sparc] linux sparc installation
From:       Lieven Buts <lieven () ultr ! vub ! ac ! be>
Date:       2002-04-29 7:42:08

michael@neaga.de wrote:
> when i mount the iso-files on another linux machine, what can i do with it?
> an iso file is only a cd-rom file to be burned, but not boot file etc...
> first i need the cd files. but the cd files cannot be read on a normal cdrom
> drive, because the sparc cd-rom drive has different blocksize.
>
> please give me some more step by step instructions for the installation.

You can mount an ISO image as a loopback file system with the following
command (executed as root) on a Linux system:

mount -r -t iso9660 -o loop cd1.iso /image

This mounts the ISO9660 file system read-only in the directory
/image, which has to exist first. See the man pages for mount for
more information.

You can then access the files in the CD filesystem from the mount
point /image. You can for instance copy the files in the image to
another directory (specified by the $destination variable) using tar:

( cd /image ; tar cf - . ) | ( cd $destination ; tar xvf - )

In this way, you can combine different CD images in a common
directory. (See http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/lpt/18_16.html
for more information on the tar pipeline.)

You can then export the image or the $destination directory
using NFS, and install the SPARC system using NFS. See the man pages
on "exports" and "exportfs" for more information. There is also
an NFS howto (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/).

The procedure for network installation is detailed in the
UltraLinux FAQ (http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_9).

--
Lieven Buts
Brussels Free University