List:       suse-sparc
Subject:    RE: Re: [suse-sparc] using Sun function keys in kde2
From:       "+ +" <teffta () my-deja ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 16:44:24

Ok, after a little poking around I have found a workaround to use Sun function keys \
in kde2.

In particular I want to use Front and Open but this would apply to any of the left 10 \
function keys.

I don't understand exactly *why*, but kde apparently doesn't recognize the keysyms \
that the X server uses for these keys. For example, the "Front" key is keycode 56, \
keysym SunFront. Modified (I believe with shift), this is keysym F15. The Sun X \
server switches these around, so that this key would be F15 unmodified, or SunFront \
modified. I can see why this would be reversed from the Sun way -- it makes sense -- \
but on the other hand, if your applications don't recognize the keysyms you're \
screwed :-)

So, what is needed is to add the following to /etc/X11/Xmodmap:

keycode 79 = F17
keycode 56 = F15
keycode 104 = F20
keycode 80 = F18
keycode 58 = F16
!keycode 8 = F11
!keycode 10 = F12
keycode 32 = F13
keycode 33 = F14
keycode 102 = F19

Now, to make it effect immediately, say

xmodmap - < /etc/X11/Xmodmap

Or log off and restart the X server.

Now use the KDE control panel to map actions to the keys as usual; they will be F13 - \
F20 starting with "Props".

Note that I have commented out F11 and F12 which would be "stop" and "again" because \
there already F11 and F12 keys on the keyboard. The actual F11 and F12 keys  \
(keycodes 16 and 18) are "SunF36" and "SunF37" in the Sun X server. You have the \
option of mapping Stop and Again to F11/F12, and mapping the F11/F12 keys to SunF36 \
and SunF37, but this might mess up applications; you could map Stop and Again to \
SunF36 and SunF37 but then you can't map them in KDE2 because KDE2 doesn't recognize \
those keysyms. You can map both "stop" and "F11" to F11 if you want, but then of \
course you limit yourself by having both keys always perform the same function. It's \
completely up to what works best for you. I don't have any particular need for these \
keys in kde so I'm leaving them alone.

Ideally kde2 would recognize the keysyms (I'll have to grab the source for that), but \
for now this is a viable workaround.