List:       suse-sparc
Subject:    Re: [suse-sparc] v7.1 boot Cd: Bad Magic Number
From:       Lou Picciano / Essex Systems <LouPicciano () home ! com>
Date:       2001-04-25 15:46:40

Dear SuSE Sparc friends,

I wanted to thank you all for your comments about my 'bad magic number in
disk label' problem.

A few notes:

I have been tinkering with the blocksize jumper on my (Plextor) CD-ROM.
Don't remember which setting is which, but I have tried both configs.

I am using a Sparc 10 - this same Plextor drive was used to boot and install
SuSE 7.0; my problems now are with 7.1.

I have been typing 'boot cdrom' - otherwise I would have gotten an 'unable
to find device' error, or similar, right?  My posting of 'boot /cdrom' was a
typo.

My current thinking on this: So far I have been focusing on the CD reader,
and trying to manipulate its sector blocksize.  I am going to check the
specs on my CD Writer (Yamaha CRW4416S-NB) to see if I can force it to write
512 block sectors (in case it isn't already).  It's getting statistically
unlikely that every download of the image has been corrupted.

Also, one of you has suggested that we not read the image from a server
volume.  Ok, I will try it this way; we HAD been doing it from a server.

Many thanks  Lou