List:       suse-sparc
Subject:    Floppy drive problems
From:       Sean Callanan <sc843 () bard ! edu>
Date:       2001-01-23 21:12:27

Dear mailing list:

Apparently my success with 2.4 was not complete. Specifically, I have
problems mounting floppies and cdroms. My /etc/fstab has the following
lines:

/dev/cdrom   /cdrom    auto     ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0        /floppy    auto     noauto,user 0 0

cat /proc/devices yields:

Block devices:
2 fd
3 ide0
22 ide1

My kernel is configured as follows:

Normal floppy disk support: Built-in
Include ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM support: Built-in

But mount /floppy or mount /cdrom yields:

de_DE: mount: /dev/fd0 hat eine falsche Major- oder Minor-Gerätenummer
en_US: mount: /dev/fd0 has wrong major or minor number

Any ideas? Could the problem be that earlier in /proc/devices, we have
the following?

Character devices:
2 pty
3 ttyp

Might I have to remake the devices?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me. My system
is a Sun Ultra 5, with a 360MHz UltraSparc IIi, 128MB memory, SuSE
7.0/Sparc and Kernel 2.4.0. I still, however, have the original kernel
(2.2.something) on it.

Sincerely,

Sean Callanan