List:       suse-slox-e
Subject:    [suse-slox-e] Problem with pam/nsswitch auth to SLOX LDAP
From:       Daniel Bertolo <Daniel.Bertolo () kinderheim-buehl ! ch>
Date:       2004-05-27 11:54:56

Hi together

I do have a problem setting up LDAP authentication on my Linux clients. In our \
productive environment, we use SuSE Linux 9.0 with LDAP auth to the SLOX server which \
actually works perfectly.

Now, I set up one client with Gentoo Linux. And I encountered some problems \
configuring PAM and nsswitch:

- Login works perfectly
- User names cannot be looked up. When I log into a console, the prompt looks like \
this:

I have no name!@a-108-01 dbertolo $

I guess that PAM works, but nsswitch is not able to lookup my username on the LDAP. \
Here are my config files:

### /etc/pam.d/system-auth
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account    required     /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
password   sufficient   /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok md5 shadow use_authtok
password   required     /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
### EOF

All other PAM modules refer to system-auth. For example login:

### /etc/pam.d/login
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so

account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
### EOF

### /etc/nsswitch.conf
#ident $Id: nsswitch.ldap,v 2.4 2003/10/02 02:36:25 lukeh Exp $
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
# uses LDAP conjunction with files.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet" transports.

# the following two lines obviate the "+" entry in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
passwd:         ldap compat
group:          ldap compat
shadow:         ldap compat

# consult DNS first, we will need it to resolve the LDAP host. (If we
# can't resolve it, we're in infinite recursion, because libldap calls
# gethostbyname(). Careful!)
hosts:          dns ldap

# LDAP is nominally authoritative for the following maps.
services:   ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files
networks:   ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files
protocols:  ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:        ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files

# no support for netmasks, bootparams, publickey yet.
netmasks:   files
bootparams: files
publickey:  files
automount:  files

# I'm pretty sure nsswitch.conf is consulted directly by sendmail,
# here, so we can't do much here. Instead, use bbense's LDAP
# rules ofr sendmail.
aliases:    files
sendmailvars:   files

# Note: there is no support for netgroups on Solaris (yet)
netgroup:   ldap [NOTFOUND=return] files
### EOF

### /etc/ldap.conf
host 10.0.0.10
base dc=mybuehl,dc=ch
uri ldap://slox.mybuehl.ch/
ldap_version 3

nss_base_passwd dc=mybuehl,dc=ch
nss_base_group  dc=mybuehl,dc=ch
### EOF

Can anyone tell me, what's wrong? Would be very happy, if this works.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
Linux is user friendly, it's just very picky about who its friends are