List:       suse-slox-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-slox-e] Antivirus on SLOX
From:       Scott Nelson <sysadmin () infocentricity ! com>
Date:       2004-03-31 23:15:26

At 5:02 PM -0600 3/31/04, Mike Partyka wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We have been using a product called RAV antivirus on SLOX but they
>have been bought out by another company and our support runs out in
>a month or so.
>
>Just curious, what is everyone else running and how do you like it?
>Are they fast with patches/updates when a new worm or antivirus is
>released?

There has been discussion about ClamAV, Sophos and a couple of others
on the list - you might search the archives for those discussions.

I posted a howto on getting Sophos running with amavisd on the
www.sloxhelp.org site (also where you can easily search the list
archives).  Look in the 'hacks and addons' section.

Based on posts by someone here I installed and am evaluating Sophos
Anti-Virus.  We're happy with it and I just cut a PO to purchase a
license.  You can download an evaluation and get going pretty easily.
I was also looking at ClamAV, but leaned in the direction of having
someone to call (easily) in this day and age of nasty viruses.  I
haven't yet installed Sophos Enterprise Manager - which should
automate downloads of the latest signatures.  I'll post if this a
hassle at all, and I'll try to update the mini-howto at sloxhelp with
my experience running this on the same machine.

thx
Scott