List:       suse-slox-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-slox-e] Partitioning of new server and newbie tips
From:       Rainer Duffner <rainer () ultra-secure ! de>
Date:       2004-03-29 13:23:42

Mark Robinson wrote:

>Well I've ordered my new server, so now I'm wondering are there any pointers
>you can all give me when it comes to the installation.
>E.g. whats the best way to partition 3 x 36Gb drives, should I just accept
>what it recommends.
>
>I suppose what I want to know is what would you people do differently if you
>were going to install and setup SLOX again.

If you have RAID5, you should have about 72 GB of HD-space.

The first question is: what do you want to do with the SLOX ?
Serve homediretories too ? Additional shares via Samba ?

If yes, I'd recommend separate /home- and data-partitions (with acls,
quota, nosuid, noexec mount etc).

In any case, it could be like this:

/boot    30-100MB, ext2 oder ext3 (reiser doesn't work on small partitions)
/usr      3 + any additional space you want for "/tmp" GB (you don't
need more, a default SLOX-install is ~1.5 GB)
swap   2x RAM, but it only accepts 2GB chunk
/var/log  2-3 GB, depending on how many logs you want to keep.

you can make  one /var-partition from the rest  or split that into /var/
and /var/spool/imap
/var also contains the "filespool", where the uploaded documents reside.
/var is also the place where the postgres-db and the LDAP-directory have
their data-store.
If you intend to store 10^6 addresses here, reserve some room. ;-)

Rainer