List:       suse-slox-e
Subject:    AW: [suse-slox-e] System storage upgrade/configuration
From:       "Ben Sommer" <Ben.Sommer () berlin ! de>
Date:       2004-02-27 5:21:22

I had the same problem, first you must make a backup from your system, that
means from every mountpoint. Put your new raid into your linux box and make
your new partitions with the correct size you like to have, boot into the
single user mode (init 1). Now my exapmple, if you are in your single user
mode type mount, you will see:

/ on /dev/md0 (old system)
/boot on /dev/md1 (old system)

now make in /mnt to mountpoints like boot_new and root_new
mount your new raid with

mount /dev/md2 /mnt/boot_new
mount /dev/md3 /mnt/root_new

change directory to / and type find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt/root_new
change directory to /boot and type find . -xdev | cpio -pm /mnt/boot_new

after this action you will have all data an your new raid with the same
permissions, now edit fstab andyour raidtab and modify your bootrecord with
lilo and reboot in your new system. I made this more then one time and it
works fine.

regards ben