List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-security] download.opensuse.org vs software.opensuse.org
From:       Eoin Kirwan <eoinkirwan () eircom ! net>
Date:       2016-12-21 0:42:53

On Tuesday 20 December 2016 3:24:47 P.M. GMT Marcus Meissner wrote:

> The openSUSE mirror infrastructure is largely volunteer ftp sites all around
> the world, this rules out doing it all over https ;)

Hi Marcus,

The thing which concerns me is the ISOs - there are good reasons to have the
mirrors use HTTP, but the checksums used to check the integrity of the ISOs
should be downloaded over HTTPS from a verified source, bandwidth requirement
for this is very low.

I am presuming that there is inbuilt trust for the official repo signatures - I
don't recall ever being asked to accept a signing key except when adding a
community or other unofficial repo - so all is good once the integrity of the
ISO used to install the OS is guaranteed. We then know that updates and
additional packages are signed with a trusted key, at least for officially
supported packages.

This has come up before :)