List:       suse-security
Subject:    [opensuse-security] Re: [opensuse-factory] Why is esound-daemon automatically installed on opensuse
From:       Jan Engelhardt <jengelh () inai ! de>
Date:       2013-12-27 16:13:19

On Friday 2013-12-27 16:52, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 03:24:02PM +0100, Joop Boonen wrote:
>>
>> Today I did a sudo zypper dup.
>> I saw:
>>
>> sudo zypper dup
>> The following NEW package is going to be installed:
>>   esound-daemon
>>
>> As I wondered why esound-daemon was installed I've checked out what package
>> needs this package:
>>
>> rpm -q --whatrequires esound-daemon
>> no package requires esound-daemon
>
>Without generating a solver testcase hard to say.

On the contrary - it is very easy to say. If nothing requires it, but
zypper throws it at you *nevertheless*, that is a pretty good sign
that some Recommends: is in the game.

On top of that, Recommends: are always processed over again, even if
there is nothing to otherwise install, which is an odd thing to do.