List:       suse-security
Subject:    [opensuse-security] Fou4s 0.15beta8 for openSUSE 11.0
From:       Markus Gaugusch <markus () gaugusch ! at>
Date:       2008-07-23 21:07:15

Dear users of fou4s,

For those who don't know, fou4s stands for "Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE",
so it is an alternative implementation to YOU.
It was built during the days, where you had to start YaST and click 5
times with some waiting in between to get your updates.

The situation has become much better lately, but fou4s still has some nice
features (such as nice and colored console output, automatic downloading
with email-notification and powerful filters).

Finally, I have a working version with support for openSUSE 11.0.

Please note the following restrictions before downloading:
     * Signature checking may not be performed
     * Reboot notifications may not work as expected (former pre-install
     * Self-Update to newer versions is not yet tested (I need to put
       appropriate XML files on my server to make this work)
       info)
     * Performance is not great and should improve soon
     * The package which is available for download DOES NOT WORK ON OLDER
       SUSE RELEASES due to a changed compression algorithm
     * Dependency resolving is not implemented (and probably will never be,
       but there are only very few updates which change dependencies)

But on the plus-side I have now some multi-core/SMP support :)
Delta-RPMs are working fine, patch-rpms are not supported (but I don't
think they are offered anymore anyway). Error handling needs some work but
most things are done.

RPM download:
http://fou4s.gaugusch.at/beta/fou4s-0.15.0-0.8.noarch.rpm

Homepage:
http://fou4s.gaugusch.at/

regards,
Markus Gaugusch
PS: I use the smart package manager for all other package updates. Only
two things keep me from using it for updates: delta RPMs and update
descriptions. So as long as this is missing in smart (or I don't know that
it exists ;) there will be a working fou4s version. I promise :)