List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] SuSE Firewall2 ? same as pro9 firewall2?
From:       Ingo Boernig <ingo () boernig ! de>
Date:       2004-02-27 8:02:50

Mike,

Mike Partyka wrote:
> Could someone please explain a little more about the suse firewall2 product?
> I purchased SuSE Linux Pro 9.0 and it has a firewall2 with it.
>
> Is that the same as the SuSE firewall2 product I've seen advertised on the
> SuSE website? I see there is also a VPN module that can be purchased is this
> somewhere with my distribution so I could try it out? If not, any way an
> evaluation can be gotten? I've looked on  their site but there's realy not
> mich info about the firewall2 product.

The product advertised on the web ist "SUSE Firewall on CD" which is a
live system, already installed on CD and thus *readonly*. It is a
special distribution based on SLES and hardened for firewall usage.

http://www.suse.de/en/business/products/suse_business/firewall/index.html

The "trick" is, that it can be configured using a floppy disk, which is
configured on another host ("Admin host") using a graphical front end.
In some sense this is some kind of "appliance", but without any hardware
dependency. It runs on every normal x86 PC. I used it in several client
projects and since version 2 it is a very neat tool, but not much
advertised recently.

HTH,
Ingo

--