List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] SuSE Security Announcement: sendmail (SuSE-SA:2003:013)
From:       Robert Davies <rob_davies () ntlworld ! com>
Date:       2003-03-06 11:57:46

On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:36, you wrote:
> Hi Theo --
> I want to thank you, Gour, ckm, Uli and Martin for adding to my knowledge
> on sendmail.  However, I need to correct one error in my earlier post:
> ---  I said I had "sendmail" turned off.  That was incorrect ----
> I do have it on.  As all you linux guru's know, not only was "mail"
> one of the original unix killer applications, "mail"is still necessary
> for the health of of and unix/linux machine.
> Each Linux box needs some way to communicate --whether it be by sendmail,
> postfix, qmail or one of the other mta's.

There is no need to have a sendmail daemon running.  Local mail runs fine as
/usr/lib/sendmail still exists, and the rest gets punted off direct to an
SMTP mailhub.

oak:/etc/ircd # grep smtp /etc/services
smtp             25/tcp    mail         # Simple Mail Transfer
smtp             25/udp    mail         # Simple Mail Transfer
rsmtp           2390/tcp                        # RSMTP
rsmtp           2390/udp                        # RSMTP
oak:/etc/ircd #

oak:/etc/ircd # netstat -tlp | grep smtp

I have fetchmail set to use procmail as delivery agent direclty but even that
configuration was only necessary to quieten a warning message in the logs,
that it could not connect to the SMTP server on localhost.

Rob