List:       suse-security
Subject:    [suse-security] RE: initiate personal-firewall
From:       Susan Buczak <sbuczak2 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2002-09-29 15:31:52

well it's in there for sure but all it ever says is 'Not initiated'.

I checked the run levels already, still all it ever says is 'not initiated'.

Suse 8.0 is kind of yasted out or am I missing something? The yast
doesn't allow me to make custom configurations to my config files...
and if there is some secret it's not in the book... I need to configure
this thing to my users and needs and yast wants to control everything...
unfortunately it overlooks a lot of things... like hosts allow and
access.conf just to get started...

someone else told me they did this yast deal with 8.0 that it was normal
prior to that...  is it safe to pull the yast deal off till the machine
is configured properly does anyone know, have they tried that? I don't
mind yast watching the system after I have it configured for my needs
but till then it's been a real monster, absolutely impossible to deal
with...

On 2002.09.29 10:11 paul kaiser wrote:
 > the personal firewall basically shuts down most if not all incoming
 > traffic to
 > your system. it has a default configuration. it is usually started at
 > system
 > boot.
 >
 > look carefully when you boot the system, personal firewall kicks in at
 > runlevel
 > 3. you do not activate it from the command prompt.
 >
 > in yast, you should look under security for the category runlevel
editor. this will show you your current settings for personal firewall,
when >it is started, etc.