List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] OpenSSH Vulnerability and Setting PrivilegeSe paration
From:       Steve <steve () videogroup ! com>
Date:       2002-06-27 13:15:02

On Thursday 27 June 2002 01:45 am,  you wrote:
>ISS and Theo announced a *remote root exploit* in OpenSSH, not giving any
>information about mitigating factors or any other details. This is a very
>serious problem. And if there wasn't an exploit out in the wild already,
>after this announcement it is highly probable that it wouldn't take long for
>one to appear. On the black-hat side, that is.
>
>In the meantime, with the news being out, the only half-solution given was
>adopted by SuSE very quickly and released to its customers, not few of whom
>rely on OpenSSH to administer systems across the Internet.

Of course this is the ongoing discussion. Being that blackhats are amazingly
able to dig out root exploits, the only way to stay ahead is to inform the
community, and for the community to do daily security checking/patching.

As you noticed they released part of the exploit giving us the chance to 1)
do a temporary change to get around it and 2) a patch to stop it. 3) Then the
second half was released, also with a fix (V3.4).

--

Steve Szmidt
V.P. Information Technology