List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] Run-level editor in 8.0
From:       Steve <steve () videogroup ! com>
Date:       2002-05-08 12:10:38

On Monday 06 May 2002 08:56 am,  you wrote:
>Installing from source brings you to hell - sooner or later. You should AT
>LEAST try to build your own RPM's that fit into the system's package
>management. And talking about online update: My YOU replacement
>(www.gaugusch.at/fou4s) supports notification and ignoring of named
>packages. Maybe you should give it a try.

Hm. If I had the desire to be creating rpms yes. But why should I go through
that extra hassle? I never got suse because of their packaging system. I was
attracted to the completeness of their distribution. I love the DVD. Plus the
fact it was more secure out of the box. Adding up to less for me to do.

I've been installing Linux since before redhat came along. Source installs
are exactly the way you want it. Support for what I want. Not general for the
masses. RPM's are faster and easier to install. But take Apache. Unless a
plain install is needed don't even think of using rpm.

Suse is generally a good choice for the desktop. You make a tradeoff with the
ease of maintenance. It's not like I want Suse to stop what they are doing.
It's my call as to what distribution I use. (I think this is going too far
O.T. so I'll stop.)

>A few months ago I self-compiled a kernel on a redhat machine. The f*cking
>online update didn't want to update PHP4 because of broken dependencies!
>Those "§$)= people include the kernel in their online-update dependencies
>... ha! very nice - NOT :(

Another "helpful" feature! Hehe.. I guess if I could automate going from
source to keep the hassle level down, and make it a Suse rpm that would be
ideal. (To tell the truth I don't think I've ever even made a rpm.) So if I
did a source install and then used that to generate the Suse compatible rpm
things could be looking up!

--

Steve Szmidt
V.P. Information