List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] sasl + postfix
From:       nicola moretti <moretti () personal-system ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 15:12:26

Peter Nixon wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I am trying to get postfix + sasl working on SuSE 7.2
>
> I have read /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix/SASL_README
>
> I have searched google, I have read postfix.org, and
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/sasl/
>
> and I STILL cand get sasl working :-(
>
> The error I get in /var/log/mail is:
>
> postfix/smtpd[20004]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
> postfix/master[28824]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid 20004 exit status 1
> postfix/master[28824]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling

Sorry for the stupid questions:
- are you using SuSE supplied SASL or have you compiled it yourself?
- have you already created some SASL users? (this is REALLY stupid :-)
- can you get SASL working with some other software?
- is sasldb readable by the smtpd user/group?

I once had your very same problem, and it was caused by a stupid
misconfiguration of SASL config (compile) options: I accidentally
disabled all auth mechs... Result: software compiled and ran fine, but
didn't authenticate anything-anyone (don't laugh too loudly, please :-).