List:       suse-security
Subject:    How to shut down firewall
From:       Steve Collins <smbaby () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 22:38:15

I have a standard install running SUSE 7.1 on PC hardware.
It uses a 56k modem to talk to Earthlink via ppp.

I believe it has firewall running since (1) I can see a
couple of messages about "personal-firewall"
go by during the boot sequence and (2) if I try to telnet
or ssh into the box from the internet, I see messages
in /var/log/messages about the connect being rejected.

I would like to temporarily disable enough of the protection
to allow incoming ssh, telnet, and ftp connections.

I tried modifying settings in /etc/rc.config.d/firewall.rc.config
to allow the desired services, but to no apparent effect.

I then tried to disable the firewall completely but
found that my rc.config already had the line START_FW ="no"
and yet some firewall clearly is running.

Any pointers to definitive docs on
the SUSE 7.1 firewall setup? I don't seem to be able
to figure out what I need from the printed manuals.

Haben Sie viel Spaß

Steve Collins