List:       suse-security
Subject:    setting up firewall in 7.1
From:       twowitchesinthelight () btinternet ! com
Date:       2001-06-29 18:44:06

Hi All,
Another newbie question. I edited my inetd.conf and commented
out ftp, telnet, shell, login, pop3, finger and swat and
rebooted. Everything seems to work ok.
nmap -sT -v my ip shows these
22 ssh
37 time
111 sunrpc
515 printer
1024 kdm
6000 X11

nmap -sU my ip shows these
37 time
111 sunrpc
517 talk
518 ntalk

Questions are these. First, is what I commented out ok?
secondly, is it safe to comment out talk, ntalk, and time in
inetd.conf as well?
Secondly...how about ssh,sunrpc,printer and X11? Is it safe and
where do I shut them down at?
If you could just give me a site that would explain this to me I
would be very grateful. As I said, I am new and just don't want
to make any mistakes configuring or to take an unsecured machine
out on the net.
Thanks in advance,
Dallam