List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] tcpd vs. firewall
From:       Marko Kaening <kaening () inp-greifswald ! de>
Date:       2001-02-28 8:24:35

Hi,

thanks for replies from all!

> So what happens to services whose access is not controlled by tcpwrappers.
Yes, that's the problem certainly. SHould be checked carefully.

> Say somehow you have mysqld runnign in the background. Anyone from the net
> would be able to access your system via mysql and if there was a
> vulnerability in it they could exploit it same would go for a service like
Yes, I do have that running, but well, inside mysql there is also access
control where I deny access from all others except of me by default.

> But an ipchains firewall with default to deny could be configured to only
> allow in those connections you need and by default block all other
> connections.
Well, I understood the same thing from the other posts.

I should go for it. Thanks again.

Marko