List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: rc.status
From:       Sven Koch <haegar () sdinet ! de>
Date:       2001-02-26 19:55:26

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Roman Drahtmueller wrote:

> > Sorry for being OT, but I need for my apache-security-update the
> > /etc/rc.status file.
> >
> > This case is quiet serious because when my server crashs down, I wont be
> > able to start my apache...
> >
> > Is it a rpm-Problem of SuSE that they don't include that rc.status-file?
> > On 7.0 and 7.1, it is available out of the box...
> >
> > I used the normal update for 6.4....
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Max
>
> Hi Max,
>
> we are not aware of a bug wrt /etc/rc.status. I have attached mine...

I ran into the same problems with some of the suse-update-rpm's.

Seems that they use the suse 7+ initscripts in the updates, which use
rc.status, even for older distributions which do not have this file.

Copying the suse 7.0 rc.status-file helped me out - but it is bad that
update rpm's can't be used without copying some files manually from newer
distributions.

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)