List:       suse-security
Subject:    Re: [suse-security] Microsoft Hacked!
From:       "bacano" <bacano () esoterica ! pt>
Date:       2000-10-28 14:00:50

If the question is about SMB services on MS OS's, the answer is yes.

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 / 2000 Ignored SMB Response DoS Vulnerability:
Transmitting SMB requests to either port 445 or 139 without acknowledging
the responses will cause Windows NT 4.0 to refuse any incoming network
connections and will disable any SMB-reliant services in Windows 2000 until
20 seconds after the connection desists. Outgoing network connections in
Windows 2000 are not affected by this vulnerability.

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 / 2000 SMB Write Request DoS Vulnerability:
Windows NT 4.0 and 2000 hosts will crash if they receive a DCE/RPC request
encapusulated in a SMB write request with an incorrect data length field.

As far as i know, those 2 dont have a solution yet, but i didn't check MS
advisories to check. Both were posted to Bugtraq by Luke Kenneth Casson
Leighton <lkcl@samba.org> on June 5, 2000.

Samba for Linux had known vulnerabilities in Samba Pre-2.0.5 but the problem
was only in Debian and Red Hat distributions, as far as i know.

If you go to www.securityfocus.com and search in their vulnerabilities
database, you will have more info.

[  ]'s bacano

P.S. - and no, i dont think this hack/crack is amusing because i have a box
running WindosME ... sorry to say that eheheh