List:       suse-schools-usa
Subject:    [opensuse-edu] openSUSE-Education 1.0 is golden for 10.2!
From:       Lars Vogdt <lrupp () suse ! de>
Date:       2007-12-28 21:41:45

Hi

We decided not to wait any longer: openSUSE-Education 1.0 for 10.2 is
Gold! So this is the first real version of openSUSE-Education -
followed by 1.0 for 10.3 in a few days.

As we have a problem with the original shipped mDNS-Responder-lib on
openSUSE 10.2 a workaround is needed to install the Add-on properly.
If YaST warns you about a conflict with mDNS-Responder-lib and
avahi-compat-mDNSResponder, please abort the warning popup window
(don't try to solve the problem in the popup window) and search for
"nDNS" in YaST2-Installation. You'll see the installed
mDNSResponder-lib and our new package avai-compat-mDNSResonder-lib.
Please de-install (delete) mDNSResponder-lib and install the
avahi-compat-mDNSResponder package -- and everything should work!

Beside the education applications, we decided to add the KDE4
Repository from the buildservice as we have more and more education
applications from the KDE people. So this is a small "Thank you" from
our side for them. In the end, we have more than 600 packages for each
architecture (ix86 and x86_64) on the media! This means nearly 3.8 GB
software! A hughe add-on media, indeed!

Please follow the descriptions in the openSUSE-Wiki[1] how to add the
Online-Repositories to your installation.

For people without persistent internet connection, we also produced a
DVD containing all the software - this DVD can be added as "Add-on"
Media easily. For KDE and GNOME users, the DVD should be recogniced
automatically as "Add-on" and YaST should start and ask you the needed
things. Everything else should work automatically. We recieved some
Bugreports about browsers who break the download. So please use a
Download-Manager or tools like "wget" for download. Here are the links
to the ISO image:

http://www.opensuse-education.org/download/ISOs/openSUSE-Education-1.0-for-10.2.iso
(3.8GB)

ftp://ftp.opensuse-education.org/ISOs/openSUSE-Education-1.0-for-10.2.iso
(3.8GB)

Hopefully we can add our ISO image to the official download repository
for openSUSE, so the "one lonely server" bottleneck should be fixed in
a few days.

In this spirit: Happy New Year!

    Your openSUSE-Education Team

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Repositories