List:       suse-programming-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-programming-e] Re: Bug in parted command .
From:       Jerry Feldman <gaf () blu ! org>
Date:       2006-08-25 13:07:37

I've always had good luck with qtparted, especially when I boot from a
stand-alone knoppix. Last weekend, during a BLU installfest, while
installing SuSE 10.1 from the DVD on a Dell laptop, the resize of the
Windows XP NTFS partition failed. We corrected it by running the Windows
chkdisk command, then I booted Knoppix. QTParted reported an error, and I
reran chkdsk again, then booted Knoppix and QTParted was able to resize the
partition properly. After resizing, I booted Windows just to make sure it
would run before we installed SuSE 10.1. The attendee was able to install
SuSE 10.1 successfully. After the install of SuSE 10.1, the attendee was
able to boot Windows. The standard practice I have been using at
installfests is to be very paranoid and always make sure that Windows runs
before and after the Linux install.

The bottom line for me is that QTParted seems to be very solid even though
it uses the GNU parted libraries, and I have had issues with other GNU
parted front ends.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group