List:       suse-programming-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-programming-e] Xerces XMLCh UTF-16 Linux vs Reality
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2006-03-09 3:45:38

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 01:38, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> On the Xerces C++ mailing list I was told the following:
>
> "XMLCh is specifically UTF-16. But wchar_t is not UTF-16 everywhere. It's
> non-portable, and Solaris and Linux each use different (including from each
> other) encodings for wchar_t.

Can anybody comment on the truth and/or significance of that statement?  My
understanding of the C++ Standard is that an implementation is required to
support the UCS-2 (UTF-16) character set, but may use a different underlying
encoding.  The implementation should, however, behave 'as if' it were using
UCS-2 internally.

Perhaps I should press for clarification as to what was intended "It's
non-portable, and Solaris and Linux each use different (including from each
other) encodings for wchar_t."

I have no doubt that the C++ Standard does not offer a clear and easy to
follow path for using different character encodings within the same program.
The support may ultimately be very powerful, but I have found it difficult to
use.

Steven