List:       suse-programming-e
Subject:    [suse-programming-e] Debugging c++ template classes
From:       Jerry Feldman <gaf () blu ! org>
Date:       2005-12-01 14:46:35

I'm working on a huge (1,000,000 lines of code + 12 3rd party libraries)
project and I'm trying to use gdb to debug some template classes. More
specifically, I've got a template within a template. I want to be able to
get a breakpoint.
Note that my GDB script has a number of dir commands so it can find all the
sources and header files.
In this case, there is a static class variable I want to set a watchpoint
on.
But, even when stepping thorough I generally cannot even view the lines of
code (templates are generally inlined).
In this particular case I am using the Intel C++ compiler on an Itanium
processor.

What is really strange is that the Intel version of the code fails to obtain
some data, but executes and exits cleanly. The g++ code executes cleanly
and segfaults on exit.

There are other debugging techniques I am using, but the ability to step
into or set a breakpoint in a template class function would save me some
time.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group