List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-ppc] Booting openSUSE-NET-ppc-Build0003-Media.iso
From:       Dinar Valeev <k0da () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-02-27 17:19:49

Hi here my experience in getting Factory 0003 build installed on pmac_new G5.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Wolfgang Engel <wengel@suse.de> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> just a few words how to boot current factory on PowerMac.
> I tried it on a 1,6GHz PowerMac G5.
>
> 1. Power on your PowerMac ;)
> 2. Get to Open Firmware with "Alt-Option-O-F" keys pressed
> 3. Insert openSUSE-NET-ppc CD by ejecting CD-ROM drive with command "eject
> cd"
> 4. Boot into yaboot by entering "boot cd:,\suseboot\yaboot"
> 5. Choose your Installation-Type
>
> From there I was able to go through installation pre-configuration setup
> (network, http-server) and YaST2 started. But it crashed when I tried to do
> partitioning stuff.
It didn't crashed for me. Maybe I'm using newer yast build.

The lilo.conf generated by perl-Bootloader is wrong. It writes to the
option section:
append
initrd
root

You need to configure installation in a way it start a shell before
and after installation. (So after installation you can debug
booloader)

So I've deleted those bad strings and rerun lilo. It wrote yaboot
configuration to the disk.

But still have an error like:
MAC-PARTS: specified partiition is not valid
/ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:4,/boot/vmlinux-3.2.0-5-ppc64:
Unable to open file, Invalid device

Also I've found that perl-Bootloader reports missing submodule
powerlilo that might cause issue.

Have fun,