List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    [opensuse-ppc] 11.1 install issues (nvidia) on G5
From:       Tony Jones <tonyj () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-09-30 18:17:41

I have a 4 core (2 socket) G5.    Just tried to install OpenSUSE 11.1 GM.

Not sure if the issues I'm seeing are related to using a DVI->VGA adapter
(machine is connected to VGA KVM switch).

Post yaboot the VGA screen would go blank (black), machine was still running
but no indication from the monitor (21" Optiquest) regarding signal out of
range.  Video card is a NVideo GeForce 6600.

Booting with 'video=nvidiafb:1280x1024@75-32' allowed the install to proceed
but I'm getting a lot of artifacts/corruption in the console mode graphics.

X11 also fails to start, this time the monitor displays an out of range error.
I've tried running SaX2 with -V 0:1280x1024@75 and also -l to regenerate a new
config but it causes the monitor to display an out of range error.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?    I noticed that the monitor section of my xorg
conf file was wrong so I copied that section and adjusted the resolutions from
another working machine but no change.  I can attach xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log
files if it's the case that I'm not doing something obviously stupid ;-)

tony