List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Re: [suse-ppc] Installing 10.1 on B&W G3 cont'd
From:       larrystotler () netscape ! net
Date:       2006-05-26 18:27:51

I tried YDL several times.  However, with v3.0, I had major problems.
See, I don't use the onboard SCSI on the old world Macs because it is
SOOOO SLOW.  The MESH controller that every old mac I have has it's
SCSI drives on is  only 5MB/s.  Most of my SCSI drvies are 40MB/s.  So
I use Adaptec cards flashed with the MAC ROM.  Anyway, with v3.0, the
installer saw the Adaptec cards and happily installed to it, but when
you rebooted, it caused a kernel panic because there was no official
support for those cards in the main kernel.  I tried compiling my own
kernels and ended up giving up.  I was also told to try v2.3 and then
upgrade, but that failed as well.  And, since YDL is based on RedHat,
and I don't care for RedHat, I just lost interest.

I always burn CDs for these machines at 24x.

I do have a copy of OS 8.5, but I was under the impression that YaST
was supposed to be "fixed: in this release.  However, I was able to get
YaST to partition just fine under v10.0.  It just wouldn't make and
format the Apple_HFS partition, which is the same problem I have now.
So long as you delete the suggestion for the Apple partition, it
partitions just fine.  With the old world macs, you have to use BootX,
so it didn't matter.  However, with this newer machine, I didn't want
to even have MacOS on it, and that's where I ran into the problem.  The
workaround for v10.0 works just fine for v10.1 as well.  Of course,
this may not be a problem on the newer machines.  This is just the
newest Mac I have.

v10.0 will install on an old world mac just fine.  v10.1 will not.  I
intend to do a whole lot more beta testing w/ v10.2.  Just make sure
when you start install that you add textmode=1 on the BootX command
line.  Also, a CD-burner or USB key that will work under OS 8/9 would
be helpful because when you update the kernel you have to copy the new
kernel and initrd files to the MacOS partition.  I always just use a
seperate drive on the Old World macs.  Especially since some of them
were only 1GB anyway.  Let me know if you need help.  I have installed
v10.0 on the following Macs:

7500/100 w/604ev-200 & G3/400
9600/300
G3/266 Beige

I also have a 6500/250 that I am going to try putting v10.0 on.  I am
looking for an upgraded G3 card for it, but they have been kinda pricey
lately......Stay away from the 52/5300 5300/6300 61/71/8100s since they
are nubus.  Also, the 54/6400s have a framebuffer that I haven't been
able to get to work.  The 55/6500s have a 2MB ATI chips, so don't
expect X to be very fast.

Biggest problem I had was the RPM install failures.  I even had
problems installing from a network.  I'm willing to bet that the md5
checker has problems because of the slow processor speeds.  I tried
different RAM and everything with the same problems.  Unless its a bug
somewhere.  I usually do a text install and then add the graphical
installation after the system is setup.

Just remember, YMMV

Good Luck