List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Re: [suse-ppc] Boot loader trouble on a G4 powermac
From:       larrystotler () netscape ! net
Date:       2006-05-11 0:12:34

The PPC bootloader for the "New World" macs is yaboot.  Lilo or Grub
will not work.  Make sure that you use yaboot, and you should probably
make sure that it is on the master boot record of the first hard drive.
  You can also access your installed system by starting the installer
 from the CD, and then removing the CD from the CD drive after the
kernel has loaded.  That will kick you out to the text mode
installation, and then you have to make sure you load any odd modules
by selecting option #3(like a SCSI card that has the boot drive on it)
and then you can boot with option #4 - start installation or installed
system and then select "boot installed system".  Also keep in mind that
if you are using a SCSI card without a "Mac Rom" that the mac will not
be able to boot off of that drive.  Good luck.