List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Re: [suse-ppc] partition types on on iMac
From:       "Chris O'Toole" <chris.otoole1 () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2005-10-11 19:15:23

On 10 Oct 2005, at 15:11, Olaf Hering wrote:

>  On Sun, Oct 09, Chris O'Toole wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install 10.0 on my iMac but the install fails when it
>> tries to format my partitions - it says it can't change the type. I
>> partitioned using pdisk under OSX, and I've tried marking the
>> partitions as "Linux" and "Linux swap" but to no avail (not using the
>> hex numbers, just the descriptions) . The install fails when it tries
>> to format the swap partition.
>>
>> pdisk from the suse disks wouldn't let me change the type, and pdisk
>> on the mac wouldn't let me write the partition table!
>>

> Please have a look at http://www.opensuse.org/POWER@SUSE
> YaST currently doesnt know about anything but msdos partitions. You
> have
> to partition in MacOS or via cmdline with pdisk. Then assign mount
> points and format the partions in YaST.
>
> --
> short story of a lazy sysadmin:
>  alias appserv=wotan

Thanks for the reply.  I was in fact using the instructions given on
that webpage anyway.  My problem was that the swap partition was
getting marked as type Linux (FsID 0x83) rather than type Linux swap
(FSID 0x82), and the installer was failing when it couldn't change
the type.

I tried various combinations using pdisk (deleting and making new
partitions) and the one that worked was using type 'Linux_swap' (note
the underscore).  This was assigned the correct FS ID (0x82). After
this the install proceeded nicely!

the instructions on the opensuse website say to use type 'Linux' and
didn't work for me.  Just thought I'd follow up in case anyone else
was stuck.

Thanks.

Chris

PS I'm using Apple's Mail app to write this, so I don't know if this
message will thread properly - it certainly doesn't display them
properly.  Apologies if it doesn't.