List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Suse 7.3PPC: Triple-boot: Linux, OS9.x, OSX
From:       Janus Sandsgaard <janus () mymlan ! netcetera ! dk>
Date:       2001-11-28 12:58:11

Hi all,

[I just installed Suse Linux 7.3 PCC on my PowerBook Pismo. First
impression: Whau! It seemed to recognize all my hardware (sound, Ethernet
etc) and I was up and running in no time. Better than 7.1. Haven't played
much with it yet, but I guess airport and modem work just like in 7.1.
This is unlike YDL2.1 that has a lovely and simple installer, but failed
to recognize my modem, AirPort and sound-card - and did funny thing with
the keyboard-layout. Great work, Olaf & Co.!]

Anyway... here's my problem and question:

On my hard disk i have Linux, MacOS9.x and MacOSX. I let the installer
setup LILO with Linux as default, and after the installation and reboot I
can chose between Linux and MacOS (space). But... after booting in
MacOS9.x I changed the setup in MacOS "startup disk", asking it to start
OSX (and not OS9), and now I can only boot in MacOS9 or MacOSX. LILO has
diapered, and Mac's "Starup disk" can only "see" OS9 and X.

Question:

- What?s wrong?
- Could I have placed /boot a wrong place? (is it still a problem
  on new hardware such as a Pismo?)
- Is it possible to have LILO do triple-boot; choose between
  Linux, OS9.x  and OSX?
- Is it possible without placing OS9.x and OSX on each their partition?

(... The index in the manual don?t say anything about OSX.)

-j

--
Men are from Earth.
Women are from Earth.