List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Re: Yaboot
From:       Olaf Hering <olh () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-02-13 14:40:03

On Tue, Feb 13, Andrew Montague wrote:

> Joss,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I read on one of the yaboot FAQs that kernel 2.2.15 or greater is required for \
> Yaboot to work. Unfortunately, I have 2.2.14 (SuSE 6.4). I would like to use the \
> latest kernel but I believe 2.4.0 is not ready for the PPC. What is the most recent \
> kernel available for the PPC? Is there any good FAQs on how to upgrade the kernel \
> on the PPC?

The 6.4 is proably a bit too old (not every package is 2.4 ready).

If you want to play with 2.4, get these rpms:
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/kernel/modutils-2.4.1-0.ppc.rpm
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/kernel/2.4.1/k_deflt-2.4.1-3.ppc.rpm

If you want to compile your own kernel, use these patches for a plain
2.4.1.tar.bz2 from kernel.org:
http://penguinppc.org/~olaf/linux-2.4.1/
the plain 2.4.1 does not contain all needed ppc patches.

Read the Documentation/Changes file for the needed version of some
tools, ppp as example need an update, compile it against 2.4 headers.

Gruss Olaf

--
 $ man clone

BUGS