List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    Re: Xpmac
From:       Olaf Hering <olh () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-09-27 10:21:03

On Wed, Sep 27, Thomas Bruns wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm using Suse 6.4 on an G3-Mac. I've tried to use Xpmac instead of
> XF86_fbdev, which really seems faster to me. But with Xpmac I´ve got no
> german "umlaut"-Keys etc. as I have with my config when I'm using the
> fbdev-XServer. Is there a solution for this problem ?

Xpmac can not handle the symbols files, just replace the systemwide Xmodmap:

- Install XF86_fbdev
- configure it for your language
- run this command:
xmodmap -pke > xmodmap.txt
- copy that file to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xmodmap
- install xpmac.rpm
- replace the link /var/X11R6/bin/X and point it to Xpmac instead of
  XF86_FBDev
- startx

It appears that the -vmode option doesn't work all time, use a kernel
argument like that:
video=atyfb:vmode:17:cmode:16
to switcht to 1024x768-75 and 16 bit color depth. See man nvvideo for
more infos.

If you use a newer kernel (2.2.16 and later) you have to create a
symlink /dev/usbmouse -> /dev/input/mice to keep the ps/2 protocol for
both ADB and USB in the new input layer.

Gruss Olaf

--
 $ man clone

BUGS