List:       suse-ppc
Subject:    PowerBook G3500 Prismo and Sound
From:       Bruce <bruce () toorak ! com>
Date:       2000-08-01 3:21:08

Hi there,
I have been installing SuSE6.4 (side issue - is 7.0 pro coming out in PPC
form at the same time!!!) on an Apple PowerBook G3 500 and its up and
running with the exception of the sound system.
Yes I have read all the various FAQ's and links BUT whenever I run
sndvolmix, I get a segmentation fault. Looking at the man pages, it
implies that /dev/mixer /dev/dsp and /dev/audio should all be
on major number 140 whereas in reality they are on major number 14.

These are not the only major number differences.
Several others differ including pmu. (Actually I think that may be a minor
number 153 instead of 154 in that case!)

If I go ahead and rename /dev/mixer(-,0,1,2,3) to say /dev/mmixer... and
the others the same, then attempt to create mknod <devicename> c M m for
the devices as specified in the man pages, will this make any difference
whatsoever??!!

Regards,
Bruce.