List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    Re: [suse-oracle] VIPCA error with SLES 10 64 and 10g RAC
From:       "Alexei_Roudnev" <Alexei_Roudnev () exigengroup ! com>
Date:       2008-03-27 17:59:21

I guess that 11g should work  pretty well on SLES10, while 10.2.0.1 may
expect more problems on SLES10.

But I really found the bug  when testing Oracle10 on SLES10.

I installed SLES10 SP1 (late beta but I don't expect much difference with
SP1 release) as a part of test standby database and run heavy load tests.
Second node was on Oracle Linux (other Linux which I tried). I run DataGuard
in  a SYNC mode (FastFailover) between them.

I found that while on heavy load, Oracle lost archive log feeds from SLES10
Linux to Oracle Linux (or to SLES9 Linux) and reports error in aio, so that
DataGuard cluster unsyncronize and then resyncronize back using FAL.

I never saw simular problem when I run primary on Oracle Linux (or SLES9)
and secondary on SLES10. All other things looks good, except dumb new
Open-iSCSI stack which lost a lot of features supported in Cisco iSCSI.

So I suspect that something was wrong in tcp stack, aio or just oracle
adjustment to Linix on SLES10.

Problem is that we don't see a big installation base for Oracle on SLES10.
SLES9 had a really good installation base because of it's stability and
because it was  a first Linux well adjusted to Oracle (orarun package). But
I don't see the same with SLES10 (looking into the different forums
including russian speaking), so I suspect more possible problems here.

In addition, RAC CRS is known as a permanent source of troubles so I am
never surprised seen Signal 11 in it's components. They (Oracle) had the
same story 1.5 years ago with 10.1.0.3 and early SLES9 x86_64.

As of me, we are sticked on SLES9 SP3 kernel 287 for Oracle; because SLES10
uses new iSCSI which don't support multiport iSCSI and require annoying
multipath configuration /and because it require once again to realight lvm
and iscsi), and because SLES9 SP4 still (I checked 2 weeks ago) have a fatal
bug in aio preventing orale from running on it if it uses aio. To makes
things more interesting, Oracle 10.2.0.3 have a bug in FastFailover in the
dataguard. We began to test SLES10 and OpenSuSe10.2 and a new installation
base for our purposes, but it's work in progress yet).

As of other impressions - SLES10 is much more consistent OS vs SLES9, and I
really have less troubles installing different software onto it, less
stability problems with hardware, update system is more consistent (esp. in
OpenSuSe where they removed ZEN update system and replaced it wuth a better
applications). It is a hit on laptops, out of questions. But oracle...
oracle really is a problem here.

IT is my IMHO and nothing more.

Alexei ROudnev