List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    [suse-oracle] With Fire wire drive on openSuse10.1 getting sbp2util_node_write_no_wait failed
From:       "Singh, Alok - PA" <alok.singh () gmacm ! com>
Date:       2006-08-22 14:04:07

I am seeing sporadic errors like below:

Aug 18 18:02:09 Neal kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: sbp2util_node_write_no_wait
failed.
Aug 18 18:03:09 Neal kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command

Have not tried suggestion given at
http://www.linux1394.org/faq.php#sbp2abort. Wanted to see if anyone has
encountered and resolved similar issue on Suse:

# =======================================================
I get a lot "aborting sbp2 command" lines in syslog, followed by I/O
errors. Why, and what can I do about it?
Possible causes are firmware bugs of the drive, unidentified bugs in
Linux, or defective hardware. Make sure the drive and bridge do not
overheat, which happens easily in non-ventilated enclosures.
Look for a firmware update. Alas, firmware updaters typically run on
Windows or Mac OS, and some SBP-2 bridges cannot be updated at all.
Try serialized sbp2 operation (see sbp2 module load parameters ).
Under Linux 2.6, try the CFQ I/O scheduler:
echo cfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
(Replace sda by the correct device name.) Or make CFQ the default by
appending the kernel parameter "elevator=cfq" at the boot prompt or in
the boot loader configuration.

Thanks,

Alok K. Singh