List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    [suse-oracle] Re: [Ocfs2-users] 2 Node cluster crashing
From:       Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea () fieldinsights ! ro>
Date:       2006-07-10 12:01:23

On Monday 10 July 2006 14:02, Mark Maiden wrote:

> The system has been running until last Friday when the whole cluster
> went down with the following error messages in the /var/log/messages
> files :

It looks like there was an interrupt in network connectivity on the
interconnect link.

rac1 doesn't seem to have been down.. at least it's not reflected in the
messages you sent.

> I opened up an SR with Oracle and they recommended that we upgrade to
> SLES 9 SP3 because they don't support the OCFS version that we are
> running. I inquired as to whether this will sort out the problem, but
> they replied with a very vague answer.
>
> Can somebody please shed some light on this : is this version of OCFS
> that we are running very buggy and causes lots of problems like this?

It is kind of buggy, but you're using it only for voting disk and OCR,
therefore you're unlikely to be affected.  It doesn't hurt to upgrade though.

> Also(sorry for all the questions :), when we upgrade, is it just a case
> of upgrading the kernel and the OCFS rpm's?

I think you'd better bring the whole system up to date.  Just the kernel and
OCFS2 tools should work, theoretically, but doesn't feel quite right.

The easiest way is to run YaST Online Update on "automatic", then reboot.
After that you'll need to upgrade the ASMlib rpms.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/linux/asmlib/sles9.html

1. Do this on a test system, that's on the same SP2 level as your production
servers.

2. Do a full system backup first.