List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    Re: [suse-oracle] LOB/bfile storage
From:       Peter Baumann <baumann () rasdaman ! com>
Date:       2005-04-23 8:21:28

[sorry for reposting, used a non-registered mail address]

Pete-

Can't contribute to BFILEs, we're using LOBs only.

Our middleware stores large multidimensional raster objects in a
partitioned manner, each partition ("tile") going into a blob. Usually
blob size is about 1 MB, sometimes less due to compression. We have
quite some blobs in the database, eg for a 4 TB satellite map we end up
with ~ 4m blobs.

+ performance for insert and read is quite nice, although no rigid
database-centric benchmarks exist up to now (application server delivers
zoomed, recomposed, and processed map in ~.3secs on an AMD 2000+ with 512 MB and IDE disks)

- storage management is a miracle, in particular it seems like Oracle
releases freed blob space only on a drop table   8-()

Conversely, can you please post your findings?

Best,
Peter

--
Prof. Dr. Peter Baumann