List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    Re: [suse-oracle] Disk with the Redo Log A crashes. How does Oracle 9 react?
From:       Paul Drake <drak0nian () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-04-14 21:00:59

--- Kuru Murat <Murat.Kuru@comfone.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> What happens if I put Redo Log A to one Disk and
> Redo Log B to an other
> Disk
> and now the Disk with the Redo Log A crashes.
>
> How does Oracle react?
>
> Does he stop working?
>
> Has anyone already experienced that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Murat Kuru

9i Release 1 or 2?

I experienced this on a server that was running 8i
Release 3 years back.
Redo logs had 2 members per group on separate mount
points.
The log files on one mount point were not accessible
due to a "maintenance activity" (read: mistake by the
sysadmin).
The instance wrote to the alert log and kept going.
The relevant views will show the status of the log
member (v$logfile).
The next time through the cycle, it will attempt to
open the logfile automatically.

If there is a control file on the volume that crashes
... the instance will terminate.

If there is a system tablespace datafile on the
instance that crashes, the instance will terminate.

I didn't see what happens if all members of a redo log
group are unavailable, but I would assume that it is
similar to the stuck archiver problem and would hang,
but not crash the instance.

hth.

Paul