List:       suse-oracle
Subject:    RE: [suse-oracle] question about using NAS for running oracle
From:       "Sightler, Tom" <tsightler () zeusinc ! com>
Date:       2002-12-26 18:17:46

Just to throw my "me too" out there, we have been using a Network Appliance F840 for \
Oracle/NAS (approximately 1TB total storage) for almost two years now and have been \
very pleased.  We have been in production for our ERP Financials for over a year and \
are nearing production for our Phase I MRP system (Oracle 11i).

The NetApp solution has been everything we expected it to be, and snap to setup, low \
administratice overhead, snapshots make backups easy.  The only problem we have \
noticed is that it seems to suffer from fairly slow write performance.  We actually \
believe this to be a Linux kernel issue as the older 2.2 kernels seemed to have much \
better NFS performance (this should be the opposite).  We are still researching this \
issue.  This is not a showstopper for us however as our database operations are not \
write intensive.  I would be interested if others have observed similar issues in \
their configurations.

Later,
Tom