List:       suse-multimedia-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-multimedia-e] Midi on SuSE 8
From:       Glenn Holmer <gholmer () ameritech ! net>
Date:       2002-08-30 23:32:07

Jason Farmer wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make MIDI work on SuSE 8?
> I want to use the built in Synth capabilities of my SBLive.

Assuming KDE, run the Control Center and select YaST2 modules /
Hardware / Sound. In the configuration is a button labelled
"Install Soundfonts".  This will prompt you to put your Sound
Blaster CD in the drive, from which YaST will copy the sound
fonts used for MIDI.  (Sound fonts are digital samples used for
the MIDI instrument sounds on an SB Live).

/etc/alsa.d/emu10k1 should load a soundfont into the card using
sfxload; you could also put into /etc/modules.conf:

post-install snd-card-emu10k1 /usr/bin/sfxload usr/share/sfbank/creative/8MBGMSFX.SF2

> I look in the MIDI part of the sound settings and there's nothing there.

Make sure "Start Sequencer" is selected in your sound setup
in the Control Center.  The KDE apps in general seem to be
pretty flaky about how they display MIDI settings, so if you
can get it to play, don't worry about that.

   Glenn Holmer (gholmer@ameritech.net)
   How pleasing to the eye it is.  Behold, a marvel
   in the darkness!