List:       suse-multimedia-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-multimedia-e] Help with ALSA
From:       "Dr. Matthias Nagorni" <mana () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-03-04 11:40:58

Hi,

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Peter Cheney wrote:

> Sound on my workstation works OK with W2k and RHL7.3 but I have decided on
> SuSE 7.3pro due to more multi-media options. Harware detection of sound card
> (Intel 820) during install was OK. Here is last part of modules.conf:
Did you test the sound output during installation with YaST2 (normal setup) ?
Any output ?

Your modules.conf looks OK. Is there perhaps a problem with the mixer
settings ? Under certain circumstances, ALSA mutes the output as default.
You can check this with gamix or alsamixer. These programs are documented
in the application manual. Another thing: After startup of KDE, artsd
takes control over the PCM output channel of your soundcard. If no
application uses artsd for more than 60 sec. (this is the current
timeout), artsd will give the PCM output free. So, after each start of
KDE, any sound application which doesn't use artsd but tries to access
the PCM out channel directly, will block for about 60 sec. This is not
true e.g. for Soundblaster Live, since the PCM devices of this card can
be opened and used simultaneously by multiple applications. You can
disable artsd in the KDE control center.

Hope, this helps.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni