List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [opensuse-edu] KIWI-LTSP updates/Announcement
From:       Jigish Gohil <cyberorg () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2009-10-05 5:32:39

Hello Community

With the release of openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 8[1], we have new images
ready for you to test based on this latest release.

M8 is last milestone before RCs(Release Candidates) start. Some of the
highlights of new kiwi-ltsp images are:

* The image uses new clicfs[2] in place of squashfs+aufs that were used on 11.1.
* Firefox, IceWM, xterm and now ekiga available as ltsp-localapps out of the box
* Graphical boot loader, thanks to Alkisg for tip :)
* CONFIGURE_X no longer required

To try this new image on currently running server:

mv /srv/kiwi-ltsp /srv/kiwi-ltsp-backup
mv /srv/tftpboot/boot /srv/tftpboot/boot.backup
mv /srv/tftpboot/KIWI/lts.conf /srv/tftpboot/lts.conf.backup
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/ltsp/openSUSE_11.1/
server:ltsp (on 11.1)
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/ltsp/openSUSE_Factory/
server:ltsp (on 11.2)
zypper refresh
zypper in kiwi-ltsp-prebuilt-unstable kiwi-ltsp-bootimages-unstable
kiwi-desc-ltsp
kiwi-ltsp-setup -c

Boot up the thin clients.

Another major announcement is the new home for kiwi-ltsp, we have now
moved to launchpad[3] as novell forge[4] is shutting down.

To get the code from launchpad:

bzr branch lp:kiwi-ltsp

I am yet to figure out if launchpad does mailing lists to migrate both
the lists we have on Novell forge.

All the bugs and feature requests now goes on launchpad[5] :).

Looking forward to your testings and bug/feature requests.

-J

[1] http://news.opensuse.org/2009/10/01/opensuse-11-2-milestone-8-released/
[2] http://lizards.opensuse.org/2009/04/28/whats-behind-lzma-compressed-livecds/
[3] https://launchpad.net/kiwi-ltsp