List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    [opensuse-edu] US Grade Level (College Prep) self-learning programs?
From:       Dan Goodman <Dan.Goodman () coat ! com>
Date:       2009-04-01 14:30:34

I have been following the developments in Linux-based education for some
time now, but mostly out of curiosity. But now I have a more immediate
need and interest, and am trying to find out a bit more about the "state
of the art" in education packages specifically geared to teach
traditional core (and enrichment as well, really) subjects in a
self-learning, individually-paced environment.

More specifically, I am trying to find the best choices, if they yet
exist, for packages that not only meet those requirements, but also
include, or are tied in, to a way for a parent to set assignments and
measure progress.

I have already d/l'ed several packages from the repository. Many of them
are quite remarkable, but tend to assume a basic proficiency plus a
willingness to RTFM in order to operate the package.

The RTFM part is not an obstacle in our case, but I am trying to assist
a bright, spatially- and video-game-oriented mid-teen who has the
natural curiosity (plus a few Linux admin skills already).

I realize that this is a bit different than the average post here, but I
have already decided to base my efforts around an openSUSE platform, and
hopefully, with open source s/w from the repository.

I'd be interested in any information or comments on trying to go in this
direction.

-- dang

dan stop goodman atsign coat stop com