List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-edu] RFC: What is the best layout =?utf-8?q?for=09http=3A//en=2Eopensuse=2Eorg/Educati
From:       Lars Vogdt <lrupp () suse ! de>
Date:       2008-09-04 9:10:46

Hi

On Donnerstag 04 September 2008 00:21:48 James Tremblay wrote:
> > I want to achieve another goal - to make this page usable to
> > people, who are finding software for own needs, therefore as clear
> > as possible, with out duplicating information, etc. I've done the
> > following page for example:
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Applications/Desktop_Temp
>
> Same goal. if we don't answer all the questions to subdivide i.e. is
> this math ? is this for an 8 yr old? is this ok on gnome? then we
> can't do what you want.

I think we had this on the old page bevore. I tried to get the best of
the two worlds and created a second example page:

http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Applications/Desktop_Temp2

* headlines for small kids and teenagers should show the recommended age
* KDE and Gnome icons at the end of the summary show the "OK" status
* reduced descriptions (using the package summary line) makes it more
clear
* The packagename links to the full description on our wiki

For me, the last point is important, as we can add the Category links to
each package:
[[Category:Education_recommend_age_4-12]]
[[Category:Education_recommend_age_12-18]]
[[Category:Education_Computer]]
[[Category:Education_Languages]]
[[Category:Education_Math]]
I like kkirill idea to have the headlines also be links to the
corresponding category (perhaps this should be more visible)!
This would also define the available categories for Education apps: As
each application should be listed on the Education/Applications page -
and therefor sorted into one of the categories there - we already have
defined the available categories which can be added at the end of the
description page for each application.

Only thing not really clear for me is if we still want the current
categories/headlines defined on
http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Applications/Desktop
Note - this means: [[Category:Education_Computer]] is the category for
small kids and not a general category containing all computer apps.
^^ Any Ideas?

Regards,
Lars