List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-edu] what does LTSP\thin client technology mean to
From:       Andy Trevor <andy.trevor () cutterproject ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-07-19 13:16:58

James Tremblay wrote:

I have a number of schools in the uk running on LTSP.  We currently use
SUSE 10.x as the base.

I am in the process of moving our core images to Ubuntu.  We as a
company feel that Novell has lost part of the plot and that the
Ubuntu/Edubuntu teams are heading in the right direction (not there yet
but go forward in a great way).

If your below question is based on fact, it is even more reason to jump
off now.

I can see very little advantage in using Novell products in the school
environment, there is very little value add over and above *buntu.

I think your time and ours would be better spent adding input to the
momentum behind Edubuntu.  No point re inventing the wheel.

The core of LTSP technology is sound and a no brainer.  The killer here
in the UK is the lack of "quality" educational apps.

Everyone can see that thin client is a great way to get value for money,
but until the environment can be taught on, then it will always be an issue.

More education apps is what is needed, not another distro doing LTSP.

--

*Andy Trevor*
Technical Director

believed to be clean.