List:       suse-linux-uk-schools
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-edu] Half-way houses (so to speak)
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-01-07 1:41:32

--- Roger <roger.b@beaunet.force9.net> wrote:

> OpenOffice.org is one that I'm already using, but that doesn't cope
> with
> recent Flash-enabled Powerpoint files (mind you, neither does the copy
> of M$ Office 97 that is still on my shelves).  See where I'm going?
> The
> obvious solution (read as problem) is to buy the latest M$ product, but
>
> I don't want to do so!

Give a list of needs you're currently having on Windows, and someone here
will provide the linux equivalents -- it's a common question.

> Another one is that, for the PGCE, in and out of different schools, I
> bought myself a Lenovo 3000 C100.  I repartitioned the hard disk and
> installed Linux, which worked excellently - but then I found that the
> Windows repair package refuses to work unless the 'Doze partition is
> its
> original size, so because 'Doze is flakey and has to be repairable, I
> had to remove Linux.

Are you sure?  More likely the byte-offset of the first partition that
windows expects isn't where it was when it was originally installed.

> placement looked at first sight to be Web based - well, it is, but it
> seems to use proprietory IE stuff to carry out most of its operations,
> so when I logged in using Firefox, the system simply didn't work.

Such as?

> Has anyone got any suggestions?

Sure -- with some more precise information.  :)

-- Thomas Adam